Monday, February 15, 2010

Home-Made Hummus

Ok, so this post isn't going to be about hiking... but I wanted to share a great recipe I found (and it's really simple as well), for home-made hummus. I LOVE hummus, and always buy it at the grocery store, but I'm trying to become healthier and decided that it's easy enough to make at home, so why not try it? Right?

Here's the recipe:

2 cans Garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed well
6 Tbsp Tahini
a handful of fresh parsley
2-3 Garlic Cloves
2-3 scallions (white parts only)
3/4 - 1 tsp salt
6 Tbsp lemon juice

The gist of the recipe is: Combine everything in a food processor, or blender; process until smooth.

If you want to specifically follow the recipe, it states to combine the parsley, garlic and scallions in the food processor first and run until well combined and chopped. Then add the garbanzo beans, tahini and lemon juice and salt and process until at desired consistency. I did it this way, but I'm not sure I would bother next time. I say throw it all together and flip the switch!

I tried it just after making it, and it was really good. But the recipe suggests letting it sit for a day before serving to let the flavors really enhance. I can't wait to try it tomorrow!

Oh yeah, this makes quite a bit (3ish cups), so if you won't eat it quickly, I'd say halve the recipe. In my house, it doesn't go to waste! I love it on sandwiches instead of having meat or mayo, or just with crackers or veggies. Any way you serve it is guaranteed to be delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment